I kept writing my students’ recommendations on useful expressions they’d like to learn.So this website is my answer.
Pick the situations that interest you the most to learn how to speak French like a native.
- Greetings: Be polite! Learn different ways to say Hello, Have a good day and Goodbye.
- Love Phrases: Listen and repeat these romantic expressions to date him/her, or more…
- Introduction Words: Introduce yourself and encourage people to go out with you.
- Survival Expressions: From calling for help to dealing with emergency services.
- Thank You: Learn how to express thanks to a friend or to a person you don’t know.
- I Love You: Learn how to call your lover and listen to the most famous love song.
- Arrival Phrases: Make yourself understood and polite if you’re lost or just arrived.
- Phrases Translation: List of common phrases translated in English
My students often complained that traditional textbooks and classes were limited to fantasizing over Monsieur Dupont (you know, the French guy in every traditional textbook!).
Obviously, students want to learn modern and real French.
Thanks to Monsieur Dupont and his amazing stories, you can learn how to say “Yes, I like apples” or “I live in the green house”… This kind of phrases.
… A bit more seriously…
I know from my experience that it’s great for a teacher to use French phrases like
“I live in the green house”.
Because your teacher wants to assess your level.
Fair enough! That’s the way to point at your weaknesses and overcome these.
It took you one month to cover the masculine, feminine, plural of the noun.
Another month to use effortlessly -er verbs at the present tense.
Then you’re working on how adjectives show gender and number.
“I live in the green house” is perfect! With this expression, you can recap 1 semester of study!
However, it is a useless saying.
You’re planning to go to France, or to speak to French people? Now it’s time for you to learn how native speakers say things.
I hope these French phrases will help you overcome different kind of situations.